The Focus on the Family Un-Fundraiser
Above is a photo of me back in the day, when I was young and wore fake silver bulldog chains that I got out of gumball machines. Also, smoking. I quit for three years a while back, but have been on again off again since I started law school in 2008. So, it is with great excitement that I announce my Focus on the Family Quit Smoking Un-Fundraiser!
My co-worker told me about something she heard on NPR regarding a study on changing bad habits. They had groups of people use different incentives and disincentives to change their eating habits. One incentive was that people were monetarily rewarded for reaching certain weight loss goals. That apparently was not all that successful. The most successful manner was that people agreed to donate money to an organization they despised if they failed to reach their goals.
Here’s the deal: for the next six months, I will donate $5 to Focus on the Family for every cigarette I smoke. For those of you not familiar with the organization, Focus on the Family is an awful organization that pretends to be pro-family. What it actually is is an organization that opposes same-sex marriage, LGBT adoption, runs ads in support of right-wing, bigoted politicians, and encourages corporal punishment, (Christian) prayer in school, abstinence-only education, and “strong gender roles.” It is also the organization that paid for the bullshit Tim Tebow and his momma “pro-life” ad in the 2010 Super Bowl. And I mean, come on, fuck that guy.
If I slip up, I will post it here on this site and will post any letter or receipt I receive from Focus on the Family. I promise this and will follow through if at any time I smoke a cigarette in the next 6 months. That is $5 per cigarette.
I’m currently trying to think of another awful organization or political candidate that I will donate $50 to for each and any pack of cigarettes I buy. Any suggestions?
- allisinhiding likes this
- redroundglass answered:This is a GODDAMN GREAT THING TO DO.
- redroundglass likes this
- thehungryrunner likes this
- funtime likes this
- rodough likes this
- cool-linda-d said:I just heard that segment on NPR this morning. Good luck!
- latbb reblogged this from thetenssf
- 94thday likes this
- -killer-queen- likes this
- eaglebreath answered:the westboro baptist church is pretty horrible
- leftwithnoname reblogged this from thetenssf
- leftwithnoname likes this
- designchick likes this
- funtastic answered:Don’t you dare fuck up. I don’t want condoms illegal within 10 years.
- beerandrap answered:another awful organization? How about gurpcity or Thuggy’s butter for pizza crust fund?
- 210degrees likes this
- mdtepsic answered:great idea and good luck man! write a check to FOX news!
- mdtepsic likes this
- makingabeautifullife said:Anything Koch Brothers related
- snapandgo said:Give me $5 every time you smoke. I’m pretty despicable.
- rachelduffy likes this
- nathanedward said:Ha, excellent! I heard this the other morning too. How about Westboro Baptist Church? Can’t get much worse…
- johnmattr likes this
- annabellesunday said:I WANT YOU TO STOP SMOKING! The idea of money from your pocket to them terrifies me. I have faith in you. Shall I send you some gum?
- bremser answered:the Catholic Church?
- bremser likes this
- hoodratstuffwithmyfriends answered:Why dont you just ask me to punch you in the ribs everytime you smoke a cig?
- brooklyntree likes this
- bartdontlie likes this
- kate-plus-camera answered:motherjones.com/politic…
- mermay said:Yikes - good luck, rooting for you stop smoking immediately rather than give a dime to that terrible group!!
- thetenssf posted this